Grace Guidelines for Race Conversations
Prepare for the Discussion
Updated March 2023
“For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.” Romans 12:3
Practice Grace (to be read at the start of each discussion):
- Recognize that we all come from different backgrounds and have diverse perspectives. As a result, we all have good intentions, but we also have blind spots.
- We all are doing the best we can, given our current state of awareness.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to help you speak with love and grace.
- Speak only for yourself (“I feel/think…”), not on behalf of a group (“we feel/think” or “they feel/think").
- Please don’t dominate the conversation or interrupt others. Remember that everyone deserves a chance to speak and be heard.
- Listen to hear and understand and not so that you can respond or give advice. Take time to digest and process without rushing to judgement.
- Be open to feeling uncomfortable - all growth comes with some discomfort.
- Stay engaged. When we feel frustrated or misunderstood, we often want to withdraw and drop out of the conversation but resist this urge. It will be worth it.
Posted in Kingdom Justice
Day 1: The Fruit of the SpiritDay 2: What It Is NotDay 3: The Trinity - JesusDay 4: The Trinity - FatherDay 5: The Trinity - The Holy SpiritDay 6: Assumptions and ExcusesDay 7: Sunday SermonDay 8: The GardenerDay 9: Bearing FruitDay 10: Submitting to the ProcessDay 11: Abide in His LoveDay 12: Loving Each OtherDay 13: Vine and the BranchesDay 14: Grace and Truth Sermon DevotionalDay 15: When I Don't See JesusDay 16: When Pain Leads to JoyDay 17: It's All About Who You KnowDay 18: Take HeartDay 19: Jesus’ Priestly PrayerDay 20: Jesus' Priestly PrayerDay 21: Unity as One
Day 1 God is HolyDay 2 God is UnchangingDay 3 God is LoveDay 4 God is TranscendentDay 5 God is OmnipotentDay 6 God is GoodDay 7 God is ImmanentDay 8 God is OmnipresentDay 9 God is our IntercessorDay 10 God is our CreatorDay 11 God is OmniscientDay 12 God is our Good ShepherdDay 13 God is FaithfulDay 14 God is our FriendDay 15 God is the Lord of the FeastDay 16 God is GenerousDay 17 God is Three in One (the Trinity)Day 18 God is JustDay 19 God is CompassionateDay 20 God is Lord of the HarvestDay 21 God is Coming King
Day 1: The Priestly BlessingDay 2: LeadershipDay 3: The Upper RoomDay 4: He knowsDay 5: Be StillDay 6: God's Presence In The Midst of TrialsDay 7: God Is In ControlDay 8: His WhisperDay 9: Our FatherDay 10: Wrestling with GodDay 11: God Is My ShieldDay 12: In His Presence Is JoyDay 13: The God of All ComfortDay 14: Sermon Reflections & ApplicationDay 15: Watch the WordDay 16: God is My Portion