Grace Guidelines for Race Conversations
Prepare for the Discussion
“For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.” Romans 12:3
- How does the gospel speak into racism today? Read Ephesians 2:11–16 2.
- What does it mean to be unified in Christ? Read Colossians 3:1–17, Galatians 2:11–14
“After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb....” Revelation 7:9
- Pray using Revelation 7:9 knowing that we all are image bearers of Christ, we all reflect him and all are to worship Him.
- If you are having a hard time with this topic and still can’t see it as an issue, pray the Lord would meet you where you are and would work in your heart first.
- Pray for conversations to continue to be had and that we would all seek to be learners and move towards each other and celebrate different cultures.
- Pray for the families who have lost loved ones as a result of race.
Practice Grace (to be read at the start of each discussion):
- Agree to believe the best in people.
- Recognize that all of us come from different backgrounds and have diverse perspectives. As a result, we all have good intentions, but we also have blind spots.
- Just as Jesus does with us every day, we have to respect where people are and remember that we all are doing the best we can, given our current state of awareness. GRACE WINS!
- Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you avoid negative judgments, language, and name-calling.
- If something is said that is offensive, then speak into it with grace and truth and without attacking.
- Listen to hear and understand, and not so that you can respond or give advice.
- Take the time to process what you’ve heard, before responding. Don’t interrupt.
- Speak only for yourself (“I feel…” “I think…”), not on behalf of your identity (“we feel…” “we are…”) or other identities (“they think…” “they act like…”).
- Be open to feeling uncomfortable - all growth comes with some discomfort.
- Understand that groups of a single race can have multiple perspectives and even the most diverse groups will not all have the same perspective.
- Stay engaged. It is often difficult once we feel frustrated or misunderstood, to withdraw and drop out of the conversation, but resist this urge. It will be worth it.
- Please don’t dominate the conversation, remember that everyone deserves a chance to speak and be heard.
- Don’t expect a resolution, complete agreement, or definite answers. This is a discussion, not a debate.
Posted in Racial Justice
Day 1: The Fruit of the SpiritDay 2: What It Is NotDay 3: The Trinity - JesusDay 4: The Trinity - FatherDay 5: The Trinity - The Holy SpiritDay 6: Assumptions and ExcusesDay 7: Sunday SermonDay 8: The GardenerDay 9: Bearing FruitDay 10: Submitting to the ProcessDay 11: Abide in His LoveDay 12: Loving Each OtherDay 13: Vine and the BranchesDay 14: Grace and Truth Sermon DevotionalDay 15: When I Don't See JesusDay 16: When Pain Leads to JoyDay 17: It's All About Who You KnowDay 18: Take HeartDay 19: Jesus’ Priestly PrayerDay 20: Jesus' Priestly PrayerDay 21: Unity as One
Day 1 God is HolyDay 2 God is UnchangingDay 3 God is LoveDay 4 God is TranscendentDay 5 God is OmnipotentDay 6 God is GoodDay 7 God is ImmanentDay 8 God is OmnipresentDay 9 God is our IntercessorDay 10 God is our CreatorDay 11 God is OmniscientDay 12 God is our Good ShepherdDay 13 God is FaithfulDay 14 God is our FriendDay 15 God is the Lord of the FeastDay 16 God is GenerousDay 17 God is Three in One (the Trinity)Day 18 God is JustDay 19 God is CompassionateDay 20 God is Lord of the HarvestDay 21 God is Coming King
Day 1: The Priestly BlessingDay 2: LeadershipDay 3: The Upper RoomDay 4: He knowsDay 5: Be StillDay 6: God's Presence In The Midst of TrialsDay 7: God Is In ControlDay 8: His WhisperDay 9: Our FatherDay 10: Wrestling with GodDay 11: God Is My ShieldDay 12: In His Presence Is JoyDay 13: The God of All ComfortDay 14: Sermon Reflections & ApplicationDay 15: Watch the WordDay 16: God is My Portion
Psalm 1Psalm 2Psalm 3Psalm 4Sermon Reflections and ApplicationPsalm 5Psalm 6Psalm 7Psalm 8Psalm 9Psalm 10Psalm 11Sermon Reflections and ApplicationPsalm 12Psalm 13Psalm 14Psalm 15Psalm 16Psalm 17Psalm 18Sermon Reflections and ApplicationPsalm 19Psalm 20Psalm 21Psalm 22Psalm 23Psalm 24Psalm 25Sermon Reflections and ApplicationPsalm 27Psalm 28Psalm 29Psalm 30