Day 6 God is Good
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; His faithful love endures forever. - 1 Chronicles 16:34
Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. - Psalm 10:4-5
The Lord is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation. - Psalm 145:9
God is good all the time, all the time God is good. This sums up God’s character and the reasons we have to praise Him. The Bible says that God is good for who He is and what He does. The definition of good encompasses all the following about God; He is gracious, kind, benevolent, pleasing, welcoming, righteous, commanding respect, complete (Merriam Webster Dictionary). All that is good on earth is tainted and imperfect due to sin; that is why Jesus said in Mark 10:18, “No one is good - except God alone.” Because God is good, he looks at us in our fallen state with all of our baggage and sin, and loves us so that he pours out many blessings on us, he intervenes and is merciful, and he offers us hope and new life through a relationship with His son Jesus.
Suggested Guided Prayer Focuses:
- Dear Lord, You are good - always good. I worship you today that you are good and kind. You are are merciful to me. I praise You for Your unfailing love. Your goodness is reflected in the 3 billion cells in my body working in concert to perform actions I have no control over that keep me alive. Thank You for Your creation that is ordered and constant and beautiful. I stand in awe of You and I worship You for Your goodness. Thank You for every good gift that You give - most especially for the gift of Your son, Jesus. Thank You for making me whole and right before You through Him.
- Thank You for Your goodness to me. Do not let me be so distracted by the good gifts from Your hands that I stop seeking Your face. Forgive me for the times when I have not recognized Your kindness to me. Help me to see Your goodness and draw me to You through it.
- Stop. Look around you. See the hand of the Lord in your life. Turn to Him today and thank Him for His goodness. Read and reflect on James 1:17.
- Sometimes God’s good plan for us includes facing challenges, trials, heartache, and loss. If you are in the middle of a difficult time, know that God is there for you. Take refuge in Him and rest there. Read and meditate on Psalm 31:19-20.
- Close your eyes and worship along with the song, “Goodness of God,” by Bethel Music.
Wow, this nailed it for me, how about you?
"Do not let me be so distracted by the good gifts from Your hands that I stop seeking Your face. Forgive me for the times when I have not recognized Your kindness to me."
How often do I prefer my perspective of what would be "good" right now to the truly good God allows or brings?
Wow, this message was a powerful reminder of Godâs mercy and comfort. I recently went through a difficult situation. His solution brought me to tears of gratitude. Praise His Holy Name!