Day 10 God is our Creator
A Prayer Devotional on Identity
For you are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for you to do. - Ephesians 2:10
We often live with confusion between our Identity and our assignments. We get caught up in what we do for Christ and become distracted from who we are in Christ. Our identity is not based on what we do for Jesus; our identity is who we are in Him. Your identity is eternal; known by God before the creation of the earth. We bring God most joy when we focus on who we are in the atoning work of Jesus and worship Him for such! When Jesus died on the cross, He paid a price of atonement for our sin, past, present, and future. When we receive Jesus as Savior and declare Him to be Lord, our eternal identity is complete in Him. Understanding who we are in Christ allows us to approach Him in prayer with gratitude and with confidence. We minister to His presence not because of what we do for Him, but because of who we are in Him.
Suggested Guided Prayer Focuses:
As you pray today, would you consider asking Him for nothing but thanking Him for who He has made you to be:
- Thank you, Creator God, that you have declared me to be Your child. As a father has compassion on his child, so the Lord has compassion on you! Thank Him for writing you into His last will and testament — you are heir of God and co-heir with Jesus!
- Thank you, God, that I am capable of passing Your love on to others. Thank You that You empower me to be an agent of change in my world as salt and light!
- Thank You that my destiny is secure for all of eternity, based on who You have made me to be in Christ, not based on how well I do things that would seemingly please You.
- Close your eyes and listen to the song, “Who Am I” by Casting Crowns.
- Pray in a private place so that you can speak in an audible voice and repeat what God says about who you are.
- Reading aloud this list and repeating it slowly five times in the morning, at lunch time, and before you go to bed, will help you remember the declarations God makes concerning your identity! Rejoice and be glad today!
- I am a joint heir with Christ of all that is in heaven. (Romans 8:17)
- I am a temple/a dwelling place of God. His Spirit and His life dwell in me. (I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19)
- I am hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:3)
- I am born of God. The evil one, the devil, cannot touch me. (I John 5:18)
- I have been rescued from the domain of Satan’s rule and transferred to the Kingdom of Christ. (Colossians 1:13)
- I have been given a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline. (2 Tim. 1:7)
- We tend to hurry through prayer and feel that we need to speak as we pray. Prayer is as much about listening as it is speaking. Listen to God as you read aloud the statements listed above. This is God’s voice to you about who you are!
Looking in a mirror is a dangerous thing. For many of us we cannot face what we are, or are not. For some, we're a little too impressed with, or tied up in, how good the image of ourself is looking back at us. But remember, a mirror always reverses the reflection of what is and is not, including what is and is not important. None of the things you think are most important when you look in a mirror are most important to God when He looks at you. Ask Him to help you see yourself in His eyes.